top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


What is supervised visitation?


Sometimes, when families have a history of domestic violence, or child abuse is suspected, a judge will decide that a third person should be present for any visits between the non-custodial parent and child. Many families choose to schedule these visits with non-profit agencies like Nia’s Place.


What is supervised/monitored exchange?


During a supervised exchange, the child is dropped off by one parent and picked up by the other for off-site visit time. Staggered pick-up and drop-off times are arranged so that the parents do not come into contact with one another. The actual exchange is monitored by a staff person who works to ease the process for the child.



What does the supervisor/monitor do?


Supervisors are present simply to monitor the physical and emotional well-being of the child during the visit. In most cases, the supervisor will sit quietly through the visit. The visit monitor will only interrupt the visit when necessary for the child or co-parent’s safety.


What do your services cost?

Nia's Place is dedicated to making our services accessible for families who need us. Please call us at



How do I receive a referral for services?


Families may be referred to Nia’s Place via court order or by self-referral if both parents agree to supervision during visits or exchange. Parents can request that visits or custody exchanges be supervised if they fear for their safety or the safety of their children during these times. If you have questions about legal issues, including requesting supervised visitation for your child's non-custodial parent, contact the legal advocacy program at Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence at (404) 370-7670.


Once I have received a referral, how do I schedule services?

Please contact Nia’s Place at (404) 371-1051 to schedule your orientation. Services are scheduled after both parents complete the orientation process.


Where is Nia's Place located?

Nia’s Place is located at 111 East Maple Street in Decatur, GA just outside of Atlanta.


What are your operating hours?


See our operating hours here.



I am experiencing abuse by a spouse or partner. Where can I get help?

Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence offers many supportive services for women and children impacted by domestic violence. Please call our 24-hour hotline at (404) 688-9436 to speak with an advocate. All calls are confidential.


bottom of page